With the Christmas and Holiday season being so busy, we all need good protein-packed fuel. How else will you ever get done . . . Christmas Programs at the kids’ schools . . . shopping . . . special time with friends and relatives . . . more special programs at the kids’ schools . . . more shopping . . . you get the idea.
My Honey Almond Granola definitely fills the bill . . . it’s protein-packed . . . it tastes delightful and it’s easy to make . . . and the extra bonus . . . it will keep for a while!
I know you are busy so let’s get right into making our Honey Almond Granola!
HONEY ALMOND GRANOLA
PREP: 35 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 30 MINUTES
OVEN TEMP: 325 DEGREES
YIELDS: 9-10 CUPS
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 4 cups old fashioned oats, not quick-cooking
- 1 cup oat bran
- 2 cups whole almonds, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup raisins
- Position racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven and heat oven to 325°.
- Spray two baking sheets with vegetable oil spray or line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl mix the oats, bran, and almonds.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk the oil, honey vanilla, almond extract, dry milk powder, and salt.
- Pour the mixture (it will be gloppy) over the oats and stir, with your hands or a spoon, until well combined.
- Divide the mixture between the two oiled baking sheets and spread in an even layer.
- Bake for twenty minutes, stir the granola and switch the positions of the pans.
- Bake until the oats are golden brown and almonds look well toasted another 10 to 20 minutes; don’t overcook.
- Let cool completely in the pans.
- The oats may feel soft but will get crisp as they cool.
- When completely cool, stir in raisins.
The granola will keep for about 3 weeks if it lasts that long!
Now the best part . . . ENJOY!!
As always, thank you for the blessing of sharing my passion of cooking and serving others. Stay tuned for more great Christmas/Holiday recipes!