Posts Tagged Low Fat
I started my process of thinking through the menu for this cooking class with the idea that I was going to make shrimp and grits. As I pursued recipes and thought about the best thing for the class (and something I had never made before) I came up with this “Gumbo Gravy of Stone-Ground Grits”. It is sort of a shrimp and grits on steroids! I love the gumbo-ish texture to it and the stone-ground grits will convert many would be otherwise . . . grit haters!
Let’s start cooking!
GUMBO GRAVY OVER STONE-GROUND GRITS
PREP: 15 minutes
Crockpot time: 2.5 hours
SERVES – 6 or more
• 1 pound large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
• 1 1/2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
• 6 ounces andouille sausage, diced
• Vegetable cooking spray
• 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
• 1 cup diced sweet onion
• 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 3 tablespoons Browned Flour
• 1 cup reduced-sodium, fat-free chicken broth
• 1 cup sliced fresh okra
• 2 large plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and diced
• Slow-Cooker Stone-ground Grits
• Garnish: sliced green onions
1. Toss shrimp in Cajun seasoning in a medium bowl.
2. Cook sausage in a large skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Add oil, onion, and next 2 ingredients; sauté 3 minutes or until tender. Sprinkle Browned Flour over sausage mixture; stir until blended. Stir in chicken broth, and increase heat to medium-high. Bring to a boil, stirring often, and boil, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes or until thickened. Add shrimp, okra, and tomatoes. Cook 5 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink. Serve over grits.
That’s all there is to it now . . . ENJOY!
Thank you as always for reading and for your support.
For more information about upcoming cooking classes and idealic lodging in the fabulous Flint Hills VISIT OUR WEBSITE!