Posts Tagged Christmas Food
One of the all time great standards for serving brunch to the masses of your guests is egg strata. You remember, you mix it up the night before and stick it in the fridge. You left the fridge do it’s fridge magic, take it out in the morning and stick it in the oven for a little oven magic. When it’s done, all are happy and delighted. This is the same thing, an egg strata but this one is a spicy variation on the theme. It has just the right amount of kick . . . not so much that grandma can’t eat it but just enough that everyone will enjoy it. Try it with some salsa or pico de gallo and kick it up to any level you want.
The good news is that it’s easy and everyone will love it!
Let’s make our Spicy Strata!
PREP: 20 minutes
INACTIVE PREP TIME: OVERNITE
BAKING TIME: 60 MINUTES
OVEN TEMP: 350 DEGREES
SERVES – 10
1 pound of breakfast sausage – such as Jimmy Dean Sausage
1 – diced onion (Vidalia or sweet onion if possible)
1 small can of diced green chilies
1 small can of diced jalapenos (optional)
2 cups of grated cheddar cheese or pepper jack
1 1/12 cup milk
1-teaspoon dry mustard
1-teaspoon black pepper
6-8 slices of French bread or ciabatta bread
1. Grease a 9X13 inch pan – I use butter to grease pan.
2. Cook onions and sausage in skillet. Drain off the grease.
3. In a large bowl, mix eggs, milk, mustard, salt and pepper.
4. In your baking pan, layer your bread slices first
5. Top with sausage and onion mixture, chilies and egg mixture (add one cup of the grated cheese with eggs- reserving 1 cup for the top of the casserole)
6. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
7. Bake at 350 degrees, uncovered for one hour. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
I have found this is best served as a buffet, but it really doesn’t matter . . . they will be coming back for it either way!
As always, thank you for reading and have a blessed Christmas and holiday season!
For information about our Upcoming Cooking Classes at The Lark Inn or a Relaxing Get-a-Way in the Gorgeous Flint Hills of Kansas, click on either of those links.
Appetizer, Baking, Chicken Menu, Chicken Recipe, Christmas Food, Cooking, Cooking Class, Cooking Classes, Easy Recipe, Entertainment, Event Planning, Food, Food For Groups, Groups, Recipes, Restaurants, The Lark Inn, The Lark Inn Cooking, The Lark Inn Cooking Classes