This is a fabulous recipe we did at our last grilling class. I know, this is the second recipe from that grilling class and nothing yet has been grilled! Well, the grilled stuff is coming. With our weather so gloriously changing to fall and, our good tomato supply rapidly depleting, I wanted to get this recipe to you as soon as possible. This tomato salad has a rich flavor but not rich body. Actually, it is very light but packed with flavor.
Well, before your tomatoes go bad, let’s get started!
MOM’S MARINATED TOMATO SALAD
INACTIVE PREP TIME: 2 HOURS MARINATING TIME
¼ CUP MINCED SHALLOTS
2 GARLIC CLOVES, MINCED
¼ CUP RED WINE VINEGAR
¼ CUP FRESH LEMON JUICE
FRESHLY GROUND PEPPER
2 BASIL SPRINGS, PLUS ¼ CUP CHOPPED LEAVES
1 CUP EXTRA-VIRGIN OLIVE OIL
3 POUNDS RIPE TOMATOES, SLICED ¼ INCH THICK
6 OUNCES PROVOLONE CHEESE
1. In a medium bowl, combine the shallots, garlic, vinegar and 1 teaspoon of salt; let stand for 5 minutes.
2. Add the lemon juice and season with pepper. Break up the basil springs and add them to the bowl.
3. Whisk in the oil and let stand for 10 minutes, discard the basil springs.
4. Spoon one-quarter of the vinaigrette onto a large shallow platter. Arrange half of the tomato slices in overlapping circles on the platter and season with salt and pepper.
5. Using a sturdy vegetable peeler, shave half of the provolone over the tomatoes.
6. Spoon half of the remaining vinaigrette on top and sprinkle with half of the chopped basil.
7. Repeat with the remaining tomatoes, cheese vinaigrette and basil, seasoning with salt and pepper between layers.
8. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.
And there you have it! This is excellent just by itself on a plate for for you tomato sandwich lovers out there, try it on some savory toasted bread.
As always, thank you for following and for your support!
For information about our next cooking class at The Lark Inn please Check Our Website. Also, don’t forget that The Flint Hills of Kansas are awesome this time of year. Check us Out and kick back and relax!