Posts Tagged Sweet Onions
This Potato Galette with Caroway and Sweet Onions is a fantastic and simple potato dish we prepared at one of The Lark Inn Cooking Classes. This is a great compliment to any meal . . . I mean any meal whether it be breakfast lunch or dinner!
PREP: 20 MINUTES
BAKING TIME: 45 MINUTES
CRISPING TIME: 5 – 10 MINUTES MORE
OVEN TEMP: 425 DEGREES
SERVES – 6
4 TABLESPOONS (1/2) STICK) OF BUTTER, MELTED, DIVIDED
½ TEASPOON CARAWAY SEEDS
2 TABLESPOONS BACON FAT, MELTED
1 TEASPOON FRESHLY GROUND BLACK PEPPER
2 POUNDS YUKON GOLD POTATOES, UNPEELED, BUT INTO 1/8 INCH SLICES
1 SMALL SWEET ONION, VERY THINLY SLICED
*SPECIAL EQUIPMENT: OUTER RING OF A 9-INCH SPRINGFORM PAN
1. Arrange a rack in middle of the oven preheat to 425 Degrees.
2. Brush a foil or parchment lined baking sheet with butter; set springform ring on top.
3. Toast caraway in a small skillet over medium heat until fragrant, about 1 minutes. Let cool. Place in a resealable plastic bag; crush with a rolling pin or bottom of a skillet.
4. Place caraway in a large bowl, add bacon fat, 2 tablespoon butter, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper. Add potatoes; toss to coat.
5. Arrange ¼ of potatoes in an even layer inside ring on baking sheet, overlapping as needed.
6. Toss onion in a large bowl with 1 tablespoon melted butter.
7. Arrange 1/3 of onions over potatoes.
8. Repeat layers twice more, finishing with layer of potatoes. Carefully remove the ring.
9. Bake until potatoes are tender, about 45 minutes. Brush with 1 tablespoon butter. Bake until edges of potatoes are deep golden and top is crisp, 5-10 Minutes longer.
10. Run a thin spatula under galette to loosen from foil. Slide onto a platter. Season with salt, if desired.
Now all that’s left to do is to enjoy with some close friends or family!!
If you are interested in learning more about our cooking classes at The Lark Inn check out our website: The Lark Inn Cooking Classes