Posts Tagged Pecan
Here is another fantastic recipe we prepared in one of The Lark Inn Cooking Classes; Pecan Pie . . . Cake. No, that’s not a typo, it is truly a cake that tastes like Pecan Pie. Oh my gosh is it good. this may not be the best for your New Year’s resolution for weight loss so don’t fix it for just having around the house. Unless of course you are one of those blessed people who can eat anything at any time and will never show it in your weight. In that case . . . make it for breakfast!
The recipe has a lot of steps to it but don’t let that scare you off. It is really pretty easy!
Here’s the recipe:
BAKING TIME: 25 MINUTES
OVEN TEMP: 350 DEGREES
SERVES –12 SERVINGS
Ingredients FOR CAKE:
3 CUPS FINELY CHOPPED PECANS, TOASTED AND DIVIDED
½ CUP BUTTER, SOFTENED
½ CUP SHORTENING
2 CUPS SUGAR
5 LARGE EGSS, SEPARATED
1 TABLESPOON VANILLA EXTRACT
2 CUPS ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR
1 TEASPOON BAKING SODA
1 CUP BUTTERMILK
¾ CUP DARK CORN SYRUP
1 RECIPE PECAN PIE FILLING
1 RECIPE PASTRY GARNISH
Directions FOR CAKE:
- 1. Sprinkle 2 cups pecans evenly into 3 generously buttered 9-inch round cake pans; shake to coat bottoms and sides of pans.
- 2. Beat ½ cup butter and shortening at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy; gradually add sugar, beating well. Add egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition. Stir in vanilla.
- 3. Add flour and baking soda to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour. Beat at low speed until blended after each addition. Stir in remaining 1 cup finely chopped pecans.
- 4. Beat egg whites at medium speed until stiff peaks forms; fold one-third of egg whites into batter. Fold in remaining egg whites. Do not overmix. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- 5. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until done. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Invert layers onto wax paper-lined wire racks. Brush tops and sides of layers with corn syrup, and cool completely.
- 6. Spread half of Pecan Pie Filling on 1 layer, pecan side up. Place second layer, pecan side up, on filling; spread with remaining filling. Top with remaining layer, pecan side up.
- 7. Arrange Pastry garnish on and around cake.
PECAN PIE FILLING
PREP TIME: 10 MINUTES
COOKING TIME: 5 TO 7 MINUTES
CHILLING TIME: 4 HOURS
Ingredients FOR PECAN PIE FILLING:
¾ CUP DARK CORN SYRUP
1/3 CUP CORNSTARCH
4 EGG YOLKS
1 ½ CUPS HALF-AND-HALF
1/8 TEASPOON SALT
3 TABLESPOONS BUTTER
1 TEASPOON VANILLA EXRACT
Directions FOR PECAN PIE FILLING:
1.Whisk together first 6 ingredients in a heavy 3-Quart saucepan until smooth. Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat, whisking constantly; boil 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from heat; whisk in butter and vanilla extract. Place a sheet of wax paper directly on surface of mixture to prevent a film from forming, and chill 4 hours.
Yield: about 3 cups
Note: to chill filling quickly, pour filling into a bowl. Place bowl in a larger bowl filled with ice. Whisk constantly until cool (about 15 minutes).
If this positing was interesting to you visit my website: http://www.thelarkinn.com/CookingClasses.html