Posts Tagged Flank Steak
Just in time for this weekend’s grilling menu!! Another great dish for grilling is our Asian Scored Flank Steak. You start with a relatively inexpensive cut of beef and marinate it with a marinade that has a hint of Asian flavors. When you combine the beef with the seasoning and the smoke from the grill it is a always winner! We prepared this in our last grilling class . . . IT WAS A HIT!!
Let’s grill some Asian flank steak!
ASIAN SCORED FLANK STEAK
PREP: 30 minutes
INACTIVE PREP TIME: 6 hours or over-night
Grill TIME: 8- 15 MINUTES
1 cup soy sauce
½ cup distilled white vinegar
½ cup vegetable oil
1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3 bay leaves, crumbled
1 tablespoon coriander seed
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 Flank or skirt steak (1.5 to 1 ¾ pounds)
- Rinse the lemons well. Cut each in half and squeeze the juice with a citrus press. Place the lemon juice in a large non-reactive mixing bowl. Cut the rind of 1 lemon into ¼ inch dice and add it to the juice. Add the soy sauce, vinegar, oil, onion garlic bay leaves, coriander seed, and pepper and whisk to mix. Set aside half of the lemon juice mixture to use as a sauce.
- Score steak on both sides in a crosshatch pattern, making shallow cuts on the diagonal no deeper than 1/8 inch and about ¼ inch apart. This will keep the flank steak from curling as it cooks (you don’t have to score sirloin).
- Spread half of the remaining lemon juice mixture in the bottom of a non-reactive baking dish just large enough to hold the meat. Place the meat on top and spread the other half of the lemon mixture over it. Let the steak marinate for at least 6 hours preferably overnight.
- When ready to cook, drain the meat, scraping off most of the marinade with a rubber spatula. Preheat the grill to high.
- Oil the grill. Place the flank steak on the grill and cook approximately 4-6 minutes per side for medium-rare. If using sirloin steak, medium rare will take a bit longer, about 5-8 minutes.
Finally, we made to my favorite part of the recipe . . . ENJOY!!
Thank you for following and reading. don’t forget to check our website: www.TheLarkInn.com to learn more about our next cooking/grilling class and to learn about our guesthouses right in the heart of The Flint Hills of Kansas. The weather has turned and it is an awesome time to be here!