This recipe for Oatmeal Brulee with Ginger Cream is what I call a Real Sleeper. When I picked it out for our holiday cooking class I thought it would be very nice and something interesting to try. Oh My Gosh . . . It is fabulous! It ended up being the favorite of the entire class. This recipe makes for a great dessert or you could even fix this for Christmas morning breakfast!
Let’s not waste any time and get started!
OATMEAL BRULEE WITH GINGER CREAM
PREP: 30 MINUTES
BROILING TIME: 10 MINUTES
• 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
• 2 slices fresh gingerroot (about 3/4-inch diameter)
• 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
• 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
• 3 tablespoons maple syrup
• 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
• 4 cups water
• 2 cups old-fashioned oats
• 1/4 cup chopped dried apricots
• 1/4 cup dried cherries, chopped
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 3 tablespoons brown sugar
• 2 tablespoons butter, softened
• 1 cup fresh or frozen unsweetened raspberries, thawed
• 1/4 cup sugar
• In a small saucepan, combine the cream, ginger, cinnamon stick and orange peel; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat; strain and discard solids. Stir in syrup and nutmeg.
• In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil; stir in the oats, apricots, cherries and salt. Reduce heat to medium; cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; stir in brown sugar and 1/4 cup ginger cream. Let stand, covered, for 2 minutes.
• Grease four 10-oz. broiler-safe ramekins with butter; place on a baking sheet. Divide raspberries among ramekins. Spoon oatmeal over raspberries; sprinkle evenly with sugar. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 7-9 minutes or until sugar is caramelized. Serve with remaining ginger cream.
Take special time to enjoy your friends and relatives this holiday season. These recipes may help!
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!!